Hair care and styling products are a dime a dozen but not all hair products are created equal. With so many different brands and formulations on the market it can be difficult to know which products are best for your hair type and which ingredients you should avoid. Understanding the ingredients and formulations of different haircare and hair styling products in Australia can help you make informed choices about what you use on your hair and can ultimately lead to better hair health.
Shampoo is the foundation of any hair care routine and choosing the right one can make all the difference. When it comes to shampoo there are a few key ingredients to look for:
- Surfactants: These are the ingredients that actually clean your hair. Common surfactants include sodium lauryl sulfate, sodium laureth sulfate and cocamidopropyl betaine.
- Conditioning agents: These ingredients help to soften and detangle hair making it easier to comb through. Look for ingredients like panthenol, hydrolyzed wheat protein and dimethicone.
- Fragrances: While not essential fragrances can make your hair smell great. Just be sure to choose a product with a fragrance that you enjoy.
Conditioner is designed to help restore moisture to hair that has been stripped of its natural oils by shampooing so when choosing a conditioner look for the following ingredients:
- Emollients: These ingredients help to soften and smooth hair making it more manageable. Common emollients include shea butter, jojoba oil and avocado oil.
- Humectants: These ingredients help to attract and retain moisture in the hair. Look for ingredients like glycerin, propylene glycol and honey.
- Proteins: Proteins help to strengthen hair and prevent breakage. Look for ingredients like hydrolyzed keratin, silk amino acids and wheat protein.
Styling products come in many different forms from gels and mousses to serums and sprays. While the specific ingredients in each haircare and hair styling products in Australia will vary depending on its intended use there are a few common ingredients to look for:
- Polymers: Polymers are the ingredients that give styling products their hold. Look for ingredients like PVP, VP/VA copolymer and acrylates.
- Silicones: Silicones help to smooth hair and reduce friz Look for ingredients like dimethicone, cyclomethicone and amodimethicone.
- Oils: Oils can help to add shine and moisture to hair while also helping to control frizz. Look for ingredients like argan oil, coconut oil and jojoba oil
It’s important to note that while some ingredients in hair care and styling products can be beneficial others can be harmful.